How to Choose the Best WiFi Router for Your Home
A Wireless Router is a box that allows you distribute an Internet connection wirelessly to various devices like smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, streaming media devices, Mac and PCs. Gone are the days where you have to be tied down to a wired connection. Although an Ethernet connection will always be faster, a Wireless connection allows you to free yourself from cords that tie you down to one place in your home and it eliminates the clutter that can be brought by cables. Now you have permission to roam freely!
Love the One You have or Do you Need to Purchase One?
Your Internet Service Provider or what Nerds refer to as your ISP, may have provided you with a modem or a Modem/Router combo. If your ISP just provided you with a modem, you’ll need to purchase a router which will then plug into that cable modem and then broadcast that signal around your home. If currently have your own router and your signal doesn’t reach to the other side of the home, you may want to consider getting a new router.
Types of Wireless Routers
There are sip or gulp models. You may choose a smaller or bigger model, measured by speed and range. Routers using 802.11 ac are faster than those using 802.11n, which is usually for a close range. The layout and size of your home will affect the performance significantly.
Other Important Considerations
Consider the router limits, how many devices that will connect, frequent houseguests, and the security you need. The most important features to consider include: Antennas & Range, LAN Ports, USB Ports, and the quality.
Here are some Routers that we recommend based on ratings:
1. The Nighthawk X6
The Netgear Nighthawk X6 is packed with best in class technology to offer a great WiFi experience.
• The AC3200 WiFi technology enables fastest combined WiFi speeds. It is currently available up to 3.2gbs.
• The tri-band connects devices to the best WiFi band possible and increases overall speed.
• It has 6 high-performance external antennas and powerful amplifiers, which delivers maximum range around your home.
• Smart connect selects the fastest WiFi for every device each day.
• Secure remote access to your home network is ensured by VPN support.
2. The ASUS RT-AC5300 Wireless AC5300
It runs ASUSWRT OS and includes the game boost section. This includes the new WTFast feature. This router also has a smart connect.
• Tri-band with the latest 802.11ac
• The MU-MMO technology enables multiple clients to connect
• Provides highest customer satisfaction as compared to other wireless routers
• The smart connect delivers consistent bandwidth by switching devices
• The aiprotection powered by trend micro provides multiple stage protection.
3. Google OnHub
Google not only wants to offer you the best possible search results, they want you to connect to the World Wide Web from their router.
• It has very fast WiFi speeds to help with smooth gaming, streaming, and downloading.
• Can support 100+ devices
• It offers automatic security updates, which helps to keep the network safe.
• The Google On app companion makes setup simple and allows you to control the network from a Smartphone.
• It has reliable coverage for most homes up to 2500 square feet.
4. The Netgear Nighthawk X8 AC5300
This is a beast of a router and it can pretty much offer coverage for a continent…well, maybe not a continent, but just know that it covers a lot of ground.
• This offers a high speed of 5.3gbps for strong and stable connection.
• It has a quad stream for fast delivery for each WiFi band
• Allows you to transfer files at a faster rate